Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Mac vs. PC

Blog #7

There have always been two leading competitors in the computer business and the question that always lies is "Which is better for me?". Is it a PC or a Mac. Apple was first in the computer business, developing the first computer with a mouse and graphical user interface (GUI) in January of 1984. Microsoft followed with their version in November of 1985, that is when the battling began.


Where Microsoft got smart and advanced further than Apple was when they made their systems compatible with various hardware. Apple can only use Apple products, but Microsoft has opened up to HP, Sony, IBM, etc. This would explain the graph shown to the left that demonstrates that Microsoft has approximately 92% of the market share, with Apple only having 4%. To see the comparison in it's entirety click here. The link will show various specs and comparisons between Mac and PC and their users.

To find out more for an Apple point of view, click here.
And for the alternating Microsoft view, click here.
An extensive, detailed comparison chart can be found here comparing the functions of the Apple and Microsoft computers.

Personally, I have always been a PC girl, staying loyal to Dell computers. However, there are defintely perks and benefits to Apple computers over Microsoft. While Apple computers are only compatible with Apple hardware/software, many of their software applications are interesting and user-friendly enough to cause some people to "make the switch". Ultimately, a computer is more like your best friend... everyone is different and everyone will enjoy a different preferences. It is up to you to decide if you're a Mac or a PC.

Until next time, Where to Begin...
Lauren




References:

Krimly, Nina. (No Date). Mac vs. PC: Myth-busting Guide for Consumers. Retrieved from http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/mac-vs-pc-myth-busting-consumer-guide/

4 comments:

  1. You know I love those commercials and I love my Mac. I firmly believe that the computer you need may not be the same as the computer I need. If you are simply surfing the internet and writing emails then a simple netbook might be good for you. However, if you do desktop publishing, programming, make websites, or teach :) you might need a mac. I have had my Macbook pro for 3 years and have never done anything to it. I have never seen the blue screen of death and I am very happy. When I was a PC consumer I was upgrading the ram, processor, or whole computer every two years. I'm very happy with my Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first Mac I have ever used is the one I got when I registered for the MIST program. It took some getting used to, but now I love it. I have a Dell laptop from work, but I don't even bring it home anymore. The only thing for me is that my Mac is hard to use in my classroom. I can't hook it up to my projector, and I don't have a cord to hook it up to my Elmo. It is frustrating, but my classroom seems to only be set up to use a PC. This is typical as it shows in a great comparison on itok.net that almost 95% of schools are set to run off windows and PCs. (Admin., 2011) Apple offers some great applications in education, and hopefully soon more schools will be able to include the infrastructure needed to support Apple technology.

    Admin. (2011, April 7). [Web log message]. Retrieved from http://www.itok.net/blog/index.php/2011/04/mac-vs-pc/

    ReplyDelete
  3. We switched to Mac OS at our campus recently. Most people seem to enjoy it. Our district did it mainly to save money. Even though the computers are more expensive, we'll save money in the long run. One example is with Special education. Apple has adaptive software built in that does things such as read the screen to the user and a screen zoomer that can increase the screen size for those with eyesight problems.

    Apple Leads Way in 'Assistive Technology' for the Blind. (2011, January 19). The Washington Times (Washington, DC), p. A04. Retrieved November 28, 2011, from Questia database: http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=5047013893

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought my first Mac in college when I started getting serious about video editing. Mac is the preferred platform for design, animation, and video and Windows is preferable for the more practical, everyday computing of businesses, schools, and general consumers (Krimly, 2010). I love my Mac and couldn't go back to Windows for my personal computer. I'm comfortable with Windows, having grown up with the operating system and still use it daily as a teacher.

    Krimly, Nina. (2010). Mac vs. PC: Myth-busting Guide for Consumers. Retrieved from http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/mac-vs-pc-myth-busting-consumer-guide/

    ReplyDelete